Dance Life

For 17 years of my life I have danced classically. I danced ballet, jazz, tap and lyrical. I found myself being the most comfortable with my body, spirit and mind during those years of my life. I unfortunately had to stop dancing because I became extremely busy with my undergraduate years. I practiced dance extensively for hours a day, I would start practice around 5 in the evening and sometimes wouldn't leave until 10 at night or later. Sometimes, although we finished practice early, my teammates and I would just stay in the studio to create new choreography and just have fun.
My most favorite type of dance is ballet. Classical music was used to dance ballet, like Igor Stravinsky, Maurice Ravel, Don Giovanni and so many more. I developed a love for classical music, I still listen to it now although I've been out of the studio for about 5 years now. My ballet teacher was a hard-core Russian ballerina whose been dancing since she was two. She always wanted our hair tied back in a bun, pink tights, black leotard, leg warmers and a black or pink ballet skirt or shorts. If we did not have that on, she would make us sit out and watch everyone dance. I am so thankful for her because she taught me discipline and how to be a part of a team.
Here are some easy moves to try at home. Anyone can do them!

In ballet, allégro is a term applied to bright, fast or brisk steps and movement.

Arabesque is a position where the body is supported on one leg, with the other leg extended directly behind the body with a straight knee.

The term balloné in classical ballet technique is a step where the leg is extended to the second or fourth position (front, side or back) at 45 degrees.


Vocabulary: 

1. ballet - a classical dance form demanding grace and precision and employing formalized steps and gestures set in intricate, flowing patterns to create expression through movement.

2. jazz - music originating in New Orleans around the beginning of the 20th century and subsequently developing through various increasingly complex styles.

3. tap - a dance in which the rhythm or rhythmical variation is audibly tapped out with the toe or heel by a dancer wearing shoes with special hard soles

4. lyrical - dance style that blends elements of ballet and jazz dance.

5. develop - to grow or expand

6. choreography - the art of composing ballets and other dances and planning and arranging the movements, steps, and patterns of dancers.

7. leotard - a skintight, one-piece garment for the torso

8. discipline - training to act in accordance with rules

Activity: Unscramble the words.

1. lletba: ____________________

2. azjz : _____________________

3. atp: ______________________

4. alicylr: ___________________

5. lopeevd: __________________

6. phyargoerohc: ______________

7. drleota: ___________________

8. cipsidline: _________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage!

My Perrito (dog) Gino

The Perfect Smoothie