Bon Voyage!

My parents are both from Ecuador, a small country in South America between Peru and Colombia. Ever since my sister and I were little, they have brought us there to see where and how they grew up. When I was a sophomore in college, I wanted to travel by myself to Ecuador to see my cousins. My parents were a little skeptical because it was my first time traveling by myself, but I felt confident I could do it. This was the first time that I had started to feel I could really conquer anything. First I went to Quito, the capital of Ecuador for a few days to spend time with family there, then I went off to the Galapagos Islands where my cousins and I would meet. I have another aunt that lives on one of the islands, so we were able to stay with her for the week. We visited the Charles Darwin Conservatory, Las Grietas, Tortuga Bay, The Galapagos National Park and so many other places. A few interesting things about the islands are you are not allowed to touch any of the wild animals, or you will get fined, there are only about 200 cars on the island of Santa Cruz which is where we stayed, usually everyone just walks, ride bikes or on small motor bikes. The island is very safe and everyone walks freely because everyone knows everyone on the island because it's so small. All of the food is fresh, seafood is also very popular. What I loved most about the country is that the fish market was outdoors on a small stand and sea lions, pelicans and other exotic animals would crowd around in hopes that one of the workers would drop a piece of fish! My overall experience in the Galapagos Islands was unforgettable, everyone is so happy and healthy. I can't wait to go back!

Vocabulary:
1. sophomore
2. skeptical
3. conquer
4. capital
5. Charles Darwin Conservatory
6. exotic
7. Las Grietas

Grammar Point: Describing words/ Adjectives / Nouns
What better way is there to get your message across than to describe them? If an ELL student does not know the word or meaning of words, I believe it is best to describe the subject using adjectives until it is understood.


Activity: Separate the words in categories between words from Galapagos Islands and words not related to Galapagos Islands. 

Comments

  1. I like this post, especially for ELLs since many of them come from countries outside the U.S. Many of our ELLs come from South America, so for them it would be especially relatable. I love the photos and the description of the cities. Now I want to go book a vacation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience! It looks so beautiful and unspoiled! Very nice description! Your grammar point is missing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Perrito (dog) Gino

The Perfect Smoothie