What They Don't Teach You in High School

When I was in high school I worked basically everyday in a public library as a page and I would save all of my money because my parents were in charge of my money and bills. I was never allowed to cash any of my checks to hang out with friends or to go shopping. Now, years later I'm very thankful my parents took charge because they helped me save money towards my retirement already! It's never too late to start saving or investing money. I used to despise going to my family's accountant a and sit there just listening to his advice while he was managing mine and my family's money. My parents taught me how to write out a check when I was in high school also and how to begin filing my taxes - (the worst!). When I was in college my parents suggested I go to my accountant on my own to file taxes - my first time was a nightmare! I kept forgetting some paperwork so I had to keep rescheduling my appointment. After doing it on my own for three years I finally got the hang of it and I teach my friends how to do it too.
Far too many students lack personal finance skills to suitably manage the economic aspects of attending college. With costs for higher education rising each year, those without adequate fiscal know-how will be hard-pressed to make it through the college years without taking on high levels of debt.

Vocabulary: nouns


high school- a school that typically comprises grades 9 through 12, attended after primary school or middle school.

public library- a school that typically comprises grades 9 through 12, attended after primary school or middle school.

money - any circulating medium of exchange, including coins, paper money, and demand deposits.

bills - a piece of paper money worth a specified amount

cash -money in the form of coins or banknotes, especially that is used by a government.

checks - a slip or ticket showing the amount owed, especially a bill for food or beverages consumed.

taxes - a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, property, sales, etc.

finance - the management of revenues; the conduct or transaction of money


Grammar Point: The English language contains more nouns than any other type of word. Without nouns, we couldn’t talk about the things around us. We couldn’t form sentences and share ideas. We couldn’t communicate at all.

Activity: Separate the different nouns from the text in the worksheet provided.

Comments

  1. This is valuable advice for any student. These are the types of things they should incorporate into education-real life skills and advice. Many people lack these skills, and teaching it in school could help to ensure that students have a more sound future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just reminded me that I have to do my own taxes. I do them online and then have H&R Block check them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage!

My Perrito (dog) Gino

The Perfect Smoothie